Wednesday 25 June 2008

Wimbledon: Analysis of Day 2



I apologise for the late analysis but I was unable to write this post yesterday so instead you have the joy of two posts today!  Yesterday was a prolific day at Wimbledon with feature players such as Maria Sharapova, Venus Williams, Andy Murray and Rafael Nadal playing.  There was certainly never a dull moment!

7th seed and defending champion, Venus Williams defeated Naomi Cadavay (GBR)  7-6(5) 6-1. Cadavay put up amazing resistance in the first set but unfortunately came away empty handed and was crushed in the second set. It is never easy to challenge the defending champion especially one as formidable as Venus Williams, I offer a round of applause to Naomi for her admiral efforts and hope she gained some experience from the match. I look forward to tracking her progress next year.

 Murray also defeated in beating his opponent Fabrice Santoro (FRA) in straight sets although Murray played magnificent tennis he battled for every point he won. The final score was 6-3 6-4 7-6(5)

 Rafael Nadal dominated his opponent using his superior strength and skill. I personally think that Nadal has a good chance of winning the tournament this year. Maria Sharapova did likewise against her opponent Stephanie Foretz (FRA)- 6-1, 6-4. I also think that Maria Sharapova has a good chance of challenging the Williams grip on the championship. I’m also backing her as my favourite to win.

 Finally I must congratulate Chris Eaton for his amazing victory over Boris Pashanski. The wild card entry wielding his incredulous serving power to knockout Boris in a straight set match, 6-3 7-6(6)  6-4. this pleasant surprise has wowed the nation as few expected Chris to beat his opponent,  over 500 places superior to him in ranking.

No comments: